Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20020228

On Friday, March 1, 2002, at 01:49  AM, coyote wrote:
> Lycanthropy (werewolf):
> White chip: transform into a regular wolf. 'May only use this ability
> when
> being attacked physically OR when no one's lookin'.

See below. The second part would be a good RP suggestion. At best maybe
she just gets like Angua from the Discworld and is shy about letting
anyone (even her boyfriend) see her change...

> -I added that last part because part of her concept is that no one
> believes
> the far-fetched but true stories she tells.
>

> Blue chip: as above or Grow lupine claws and teeth. Claws function as
> per
> the harrowed power level 1. 'May only use this ability when being
> attacked
> physically OR when no one's lookin'.

This is a lot of control. I play in a Werewolf game, and fine control of
something like that is a pretty nifty trick in a setting where
werewolves are the good guys! Remember, in deadlands they are alwasy
somewhat dark heroes at best...

> Red chip: any ability above or Transform into a full-fledged werewolf as
> seen in the Marshal's Handbook. 'May only use this ability when being
> attacked physically OR when no one's lookin'
> Legend chip: any ability above or summon 3d6 of your lupine kin. Use
> this
> ability only when wolves could reasonably be in the area. Furthermore,
> if a
> legend chip is used to activate any previous ability it may be used in
> spite
> of who's watching.
>
> <<Snip>>
> Eep! If you don't mind me saying so, after all you did ask, this seems
> a tad
> broken if ya ask me. Lots of powers and special abilities with few
> costs is
> a dead giveaway that something's amiss. So far as I can tell there
> really
> aren't any consequences for being infected with a horrid curse besides
> the
> full moon transformation thing. If she's dead-set on being a werewolf,
> my
> suggestion is to check out Rascals, Varmints, and Critters II. Mr. Goff
> (Yo
> Johnny boy!) provided an excellent treatment of lycanthropy Weird West
> style
> in that there tome.

This is a much better idea. No abilities in Deadlands are without a
price... Hucksters get backlash... Blessed get moral codes, etc. The
RVCII suggestion makes werewolves that can have the kind of powers you
seem to want and be non-overpowering characters, but with some serious
restrictions.

Remember, even though it's a red card, doesn't mean it's all good!

> What I'd do is suggest an alternative path for the character, requiring
> her
> to take some shamanic gifts that would allow her to duplicate certain
> abilities of the wolf and definitely check out the Guardian Spirit
> (Wolf)
> edge. You'll probably find that a werewolf character can easily outpace
> other arcane backgrounds when it comes to effectiveness and
> survivability;
> you risk alienating your other players by allowing a lycanthrope in your
> posse. Just my opinion but I'd be surprised if you don't receive similar

Maybe... i haven't had a player run one, yet, but I think it'd be more
powerful, but the monthly rampages beat the normal harrowed manitou
playtime for ferocity, especially if it's a secretive character like
this who wouldn't tell her pack, err... posse.

> Welcome to the real Weird West compadre, come sit a spell (or hex,
> miracle,
> favor, whatever!)

Now, now, they're both Deadlands (the heathens!)

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)