Re: [DL] D20 ? OTish

>For those who don't like D20 system, what is your major complaint?

Like I mentioned before I don't dislike D20.  I think its a great system for
Dungeons And Dragons.  It clears up some rules that have been plaguing D&D
for way to long(Demi-Human Level Limits, Bizarre Saving Throw rules,
Experience Level Gaps, Multi-Classing ETC).

The Problem is the way WOTC has been marketing D20 and how a lot of 3rd
party companies are as well.  Its not about Role Playing.  Its about how bug
of a plus or how crazy of a feat, or how outrageously powerful of a presige
class can we make up and see if a G.M. might actually allow it.  I know a
lot of people who play D20 are munckin Power Gamers, but WOTC is definetly
marketing it to them directly.  Just read Dragon.  I remember one of the
first post D20 issues had a little section about how to make a character.
Pretty much it said that you should use essential Half-Orcs and Halflings
exclusively because they get the best bonus abilities.

Overall I think only vary few companies have put out good D20 related games.
  If you want to see a great example of a good D20 books, check out Fading
Suns D20.  Its great, doesn't change a lot of D20 rules, and its well
balanced.  If you want to see some bad D20 stuff, Take a look at some of the
AEG D20 products.  Half the time they directly contradict D20 rules.

Finally, I've looked at Deadlands D20.  My problem is that my group needs
some visual aids to get into a game(there like Rodents they like Shiny
things).  Deadlands was perfect for them, since the visual aids actually
were used in the system(Cards, Chips).  It helped to get the mood across and
really got them into the game.  I understand the Deadlands rules aren't the
easiest to digest.  When I ran with a new group in the fall it took about 4
sessions to get the rules down,  but once they get it most people love it.
The rules make a lot of good sense and they really give the game that old
west feel.  D20 might be simple but it just ain't Deadlands to me.

Dan