RE: [DL] The Deep South

         Just two quick questions. Does anyone know if the CSA had (or has
in the DL timeline) a special military body to patrol the various (major)
rivers of the Confederacy? Those rascal Unionist could get really ugly up
'round St. Louis and especially on the Ohio.  I'd say they either have river
scooners or specially developed ironclads, but I am not sure whether they
would be under the control of the CSA's navy or of a different military
wing.

I don't know about any special military unit, but a few of the books mention
the South's river patrol craft.  They're kind of like "new science" versions
of torpedo and gunboats.

         Also, which of the three rail lines (Dixie Rails, Bayou Vermilion,
and Black River) would be the best for a Ranger to have friends in? I am not
really sure which railroad would have the tracks from Florida to and/or past
Louisiana.  I would say Bayou Vermilion though I am not sure.

I did some looking into the southern railways for a game once.  One thing to
remember is that it's not like airlines today.  The big Three you mentioned
generally don't start their lines until the Mississippi or just a couple
hundred miles to the East of it.  The rest of the Southeast is crisscrossed
with short lines that generally run just from one major city to the next.
So, none of the three you mentioned have a direct line to Florida.

The most obvious choice is Dixie Rails.  Rangers are military and a lot of
Dixie Rails' higher ups are ex-CSA.  That's an easy connection there.  Plus
DR runs pretty much across the central South, giving reasonable access to a
lot of territory.  They also run directly to Dallas, have a spur to Roswell,
and on the East side of the river, fairly good connections directly to
Richmond.  The other advantage to DR is that they are the railway of the
CSA.  It would not be uncommon for another train to be shunted (and
therefore delayed) while a military train passes.

Bayou Vermillion's line runs the farthest south of the South.  I believe
they have a spur or connection that runs north from New Orleans along the
river.

Black River is the northernmost of the three lines.  They can get you into
the disputed territory (including a direct run to Dodge City).  Plus they've
got some really hot babes that work for them.  ;-)

Hope this helps!

Clint Black
"No sig line for you!"