RE: [DL] Range Wars/Great Rail Wars

Hello, Markus!

-----Original Message-----
I'm thinking of introducing GRW and/or Range Wars to my gaming group. Now,
I've never played miniature games, so I have a few qustions about those:
Is Range Wars played with cards or with miniatures?
--------------------------

Range Wars, while it shares the same universe, is different from GRW and
Deadlands.  I can't recall offhand if they are for a CCG or Disk Wars,
although I think it's the latter.

--------------------------
How does a GRW-session run? I'm not talking about the specific rules, just a
general overview: Is there one player the marshal who, I dunno, introduces
twists in the fight? How many can participate in one game? How long does one
of these games take to prepare and how long is one gaming session?
--------------------------

As with all wargames, it is possible to play with a Marshall/Referee.  If
there is one player who knows all the rules and is an experienced player and
he is introducing the game to others, a session or two is usually run with
that player being the referee (in my experience).  The game is  designed to
be played without a referee.

Random twists come from a table off Odd Occurances (good and bad) and the
scenario (such as Mine! on the PEG website) sometimes introduces strange
encounters or events.

The setup time mostly consists of painting minis and preparing terrain
(Microtactix's paper buildings and train will move this along quickly).
There are random scenario generators in the rules, if you need one.

--------------------------
Do the GRW-Sourcebooks have any influence on the official timeline? If yes,
maybe I'll just buy them to learn more of the world...
Oh yes, are the sourcebooks seperated in posse and marshal territory as
well?
--------------------------

They do and they don't.  The GRW books more report events that have happened
rather than move the story along.  Most of what I've seen in the main GRW
books reports the same info that you'll find in other Deadlands book from a
different angle.  The campaign books, however, do move the story along.

I've made the Rail Wars a big a part of the plot of my RPG so I find a lot
there of use.

--------------------------
And finally: The online shop says that if you buy the core book, you get one
starter army for free. Which armies are there and how much do they cost? How
many minitaures are in an army? Could you use the cardstock cowboys for GRW
as well (scale)?

You'll find images of the army packs in the online ordering section of the
PEG website.  You can use the Cardstock Cowboys in a game but they tend to
look odd next to the minis.  If you can handle that, I think they'll do
fine.

I hope this helps.

Matt