Re: AW: RE: [DL] more Successes (was:Quickness)

I believe this language was dropped in the newest edition because it was
confusing. "Every success and raise" refers only to the highest die of any
roll, just like every other roll. The only time dice other than your
highest die count for anything is when you go bust.

IIRC (it's been a long time) the system you describe is similar to
Shadowrun. I think it's referred to as "dice pools," or something, and has
been used in other game systems, as well. It's not a bad system at all,
but the Deadlands stuff was not written with that implementation in mind.

My $0.02.

Jason

--- Jim Bowers <jim.bowers@uleth.ca> wrote:
> Generally what I do is only count the highest unless the text
> specifically says 'for _every_ success and raise'.  Which, going by my
> first edition (1998 version) is basically only for tests o' wills and
> initiative rolls, and a few powers.  I think this is the way it was
> meant to be.
>
> markus.finster@chello.at wrote:
>
> > This question made me wonder: has anybody ever playtested a house rule
> where every die counts for sucess determination? Say, in the
> aforementioned example 4d10 against a target number of five, rolling 6,
> 2, 7 and 11 the result would be 3 Sucesses, 1 raise (instead 1 sucess
> and 1 raise)?
> > Our group had a little chit-chat about the fact that a 10d8 gunslinger
> isn't really that much better than a 2d8 gunslinger - his chance of
> suceeding is of course higher, but he won't be totally over the top
> (like getting 8 sucesses/raises on a trickshot).
> > I'm not interested in probability and statistics - I'd like to know if
> anyone tested this little tweaking and if it was found unbalancing,
> better or whatever.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Markus

=====