[DL] Deadlands Classic as fantasy

  One aspect of Deadlands I have toyed with was running a Black Company-style campaign (a fantasy series by Glen Cook). In the novels a band of mercenaries (the Black Company) follow commissions about their world, in the service of various powers through the novels. A passtime of the 'Company is a cardgame called Tonk, which was what I would base the cards in Deadlands off of, rather than poker.
     There is a plan for a D20 version of the game (very tentatively), as a person from one D20 publishers told me a couple months ago regarding an illustration job, but with the proliferation of D20 games, I would rather stick to my homebrew for Deadlands (although I will still do the art for the game and check it out if it ever does come about). Has anyone else played Deadlands as a fantasy game? I am sure this has been brought up before, and I hope I am not abusing the Dumb Questions rule too much.

Regards,
Steve

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization.
--
Robert Ervin Howard