RE: [DL] Mad Scientists' Inspiration *spoilers*

I assume TJC was written before Perils of the New
Science, since that book has a Doctor's Assistant
gadget (can't recall the exact name). Sure it can
malfunction and do all sort of nasty things, but it
basically gives a bonus to the user's medicine roll.
Sounds like a device that could heal people.

It was, but it was also written after Smith & Robards that had healing
elixirs and unguents (in the alchemy rules).

I think the point here was that mad science wasn't able to create a device
that was reusable and would spontaneously heal damaged tissue.  Alchemy was
exempt because they were only one shot uses.  If you used it, you would have
to make another potion from scratch to do it again.  The gadget from The
Collegium is exempt because it is simply a tool for an already trained
doctor.  If it could have made a medicine roll on its own, then it would be
a healing machine.

Plus there's always the ultimate goal of Fear to keep in mind.  Sure the
manitous were working to get to the GR bomb, but that was just a quick way
to raise Fear.  Personally, if the Doctor's Assistant had a major
malfunction, I might see the local Fear level go up as people begin to panic
at what might happen if they get hurt.  And as to alchemy, besides the
standard chance for a problem, isn't there another roll (even worse) if a
character is using two or more at the same time (even if they're the same
elixir)?

Clint Black

"You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Ghost Rock, son. Nothing else in the
world smells like that. I love the smell of ghost rock in the morning. You
know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over
I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Yank body. The
smell, you know that sulphurous smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."