Re: d20 Initiative (was [DL] Re: [WW] Re: Systems [Veering OT])

"Clint Black" <cblack@ohtinc.com>
> You just had to mention one of my major problems with d20.  Initiative!

D20 isn't bad. Compared to systems where you roll each round, it's less time
consuming, and allows for a decent flow of action.

However, I strongly recomend a prop when using it. either use a white board
that has everyones init on it, or get a small board and mark init from 30
to -5 or so. Then use paperclips or some other markers to show when people
go.

I find that if I rely on players to know when they go, they tend to forget
or get confused.

> The refocus (the word you were looking for) action is a crock.  Improved
> Initiative feat is nearly (I said nearly) worthless.  Listen carefully and
> will explain.

<snipped explaination>

Improved init is good for getting that initial jump, which can be a great
boon to folks who have to strike while the target is flat-footed. Or if
you're worried about getting nailed while flat-footed.

As for Refocus, it is a crock. As you point out, rounds are cyclic. The
Delay action should just wrap around to the next round. That's how I work
it.

All that being said, I STILL like the original deadlands version better.
Sure, both ways have props (cards for DL and my Board when playing D20) but
DL has something I can't quite put my finger on.

Maybe it's that it's almost organic in it's flow. D20 is very mechanical,
you go, he goes, you go, he goes.... DL leads to fast folk who may get all
their actions lumped in the 2's & 3's while a slow poke draws an ace. It's
just got something special about it.