RE: d20 Initiative (was [DL] Re: [WW] Re: Systems [Veering OT]) SHANE

Wait a minute.  If you are hitting first every round, you have a chance of defeating an opponent before he can act.  Let's forget the first round (Clint misses at an initiative rank of 17 even though Mr. Wayne was flatfooted.  Mr. Wayne missed at 13) From round two and on Clint will shoot first.  If both have 11 Hps and both hit every other shot for 6 Hps of damage, Both are at 5 Hp at the end of round two.  Both miss round three, and Clint takes Mr. Wayne down on round five (Mr. Wayne doesn't get an action and is at -1 Hp at Initiative 17.  He just gets to bleed at his rank of 13.)  Therefore higher initiative is very important.  As for readjusting to get a 20, it only helps in mass combat where one lost action won't cost you everything or when you have cover.  This is realistic enough if you view it as delaying to get a quicker draw among a group on group fight.  One on one, it isn't a good tactic.

Look at your example.  You specifically choose the person with the higher initiative to get the first hit in, and then said each hit or missed equally every action after that.

Change the first one to attack successfully to Mr. Wayne on 13 of round 2.  Clint hits on 17 of round 3 then Mr. Wayne misses on 13.  Clint misses on 17 of round 4 then Mr. Wayne hits on 13 taking Clint down.  You have the same two hits, two misses, and a hit; only by starting with Mr. Wayne, he is the survivor.

Clint Black

"You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Ghost Rock, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of ghost rock in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Yank body. The smell, you know that sulphurous smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."