Re: [DL] d20 Hucksters, Blessed, MS (do they work in a DnD3 setting?)

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 10:46  AM, Kevin L Stoner wrote:
> The only thing I really have to say is that I dont think this would mix
> well because DLD20 characters are slightly less powerful than D&D
> characters. The arcane's get far less spells, and even though the

Of course, if a character was considered a true 'crossover' instead of a
use of the DL class in a D&D game, then the addition of 1870s era
firearms might be amusing. At least until the ammo runs out.

Interestingly, a callous gunslinger would fit the current campaign I'm
in, except for the err, guns part. Maybe I'll keep that in mind for my
next character.

> divine get special abilities they work on spell points instead of a
> number of spells and that really adds up. Admittedly there was talk for
> a while on the list about an Arcanum type game involving Elves and
> Dwarves in the weird west which was somewhat intriguing but while its
> interesting a huckster would get stomped in a D&D world where they are
> unable to cast fireball or any detection spell. And Blessed would be
> smiting any heathen who put a god before his, good or otherwise. And
> Shaman's are very close to Druid's only not quite as many special

True. Magic in D&D is a known element of the world... While it may amaze
the yokels and is (depending on the setting) anywhere from uncommon to
extremely rare, it's still an accepted concept.

The biggest problem I still have with D&D is that so many people know
the abilities of the critters. Dragons arent that scary since everyne
knows  that when a red dragon comes around the corner, whip out the
fire-retardent underroos. Makes high-level adventuring somewhat boring.

> abilities. Anyway the big difference is magic. In D&D most characters
> come across a +1 sword by say 4th level. In Deadlands my posse is 4th
> to 5th level and trying to find non magical ways to deal with creatures
> that need magic to hit cause the magic just isnt that common in
> Deadlands. Anyway it is a really cool idea, but it would have to be
> adjusted to make it work properly.

Another good point. Some current D&D settings make magic weapons very
common. GMs work against this, i think, but most published adventurers
seem to assume that most people will have magic weapons and or powers by
even third or fourth level!
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)