Re: [DL] d20 Hucksters, Blessed, MS (do they work in a DnD3 setting?)

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 10:22  AM, Jeff Yates wrote:
> I was wondering if any of the DLd20 owners out there have tried playing
> a Huckster or Blessed or what have you in a more "normal" DnD3 setting?
> Sure, the DLd20 rules are d20, but do the classes translate well to,
> say, Forgotten Realms as far as balance is concerned?  It might be fun
> to roleplay a Huckster alongside a Paladin ("You claim to be good, but
> get your powers from the depths of hell?").  But it wouldn't work if the
> Deadlands classes, while balanced against each other, are a step or two
> stronger than the base classes from the PHB.  I'm not looking to bring
> firearms to a fantasy setting, just a twist on the character
> interactions -- "Who are you?"  "I'm Father Brown."  "Ah, a cleric, eh?
> Who do you worship?"  "I worship God."  "Yeah, you all worship a god, I
> was wondering which one."  "There is only one God."  "Huh?"

I've thought about it... But I don't think i could convince my Gm to go
for me playing any DL type class in our Kingdoms of Kalamar game. I may
have to try it now. Our party sourcer might feel better if she just has
to deal with very few hit point s and spells for day if I'm playing a
huckster that keeps blowing his brains out with his spells.

> OK, so I thought it was fun to run a cleric that worshipped water once
> too (his holy symbol was a bucket, he wore it on his head a lot, and he
> kept telling people that man was created by water to carry it uphill --
> it was an MOD I saw during college).  At least I refuse to play Kender!

I consider myself in my second 'era' of gaming. I now play two general
categories of characters:

1. The party player: need a cleric? I'll do it! No magic support? I'm
here! Good for variety and flexing the mental muscles.
2. The oddball: Things that shouldn't exist. i currently play a Dwarven
Paladin, but I'm slightly overshadowed by our group's half-orc paladin.
If he gets whacked, we'll replace him with some sort of druid, likely
non-dwarven, but aimed to fulfill category 1 by making him skilled as a
sailor because our party is constantly sailing around on a ship we
'liberated.'

And a good kender player is very fun to watch! (I'm not... my sense of
caution and dry humor is too ingrained and difficult to break out of.)

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)