Re: [DL] The Civil War again

At 11:30 AM 6/2/2002, Pan Jerzy Cichocki wrote:
>Mornin'

         Howdy!

>  I  know  that  various units have different colours of insignia (i.e.
> red for  artillery  and  blue  for  infantry)  but  were  there  any
> differences between  units  in the same army?

         Soldiers on boths sides started off The War wearing whatever they
had handy or could afford, but soon after, the North standardized on blue
and the South on gray. However, as supplies of gray dye ran out in the
Confederacy, many uniforms were issued in a shade of brown known as
"butternut". Also, Southern soldiers throughout The War wore a lot of
captured Yankee clothes, particularly pants (though jackets were
"liberated" too, and not always re-dyed in time for battle).

>I've watched North and South episode  this  morning  (yes,  it's  once
>again in tv, here in Poland)  and I saw marksman from the Union army in
>green uniform.

         He was part of Berdan's Sharpshooters, a regiment that paid for
its own green uniforms and developed a reputation big enough to be allowed
to keep them.

         Hope this helped!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance RPG Writer At-Large
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_