RE: [DL] Adventure/Story design question

This made me wonder: Do people follow the "outline" that published DL
adventures use in their own games?  (Chapter oriented with specific awards
at the end of each.)  If not what format do you use?

I think my group follows it to a certain degree.  I alternate as Marshal with one of the other players, I run Deadlands for 6-8 sessions, then he runs HoE for about the same period of time, and so on.  Occasionally we mix it up with a different game for a little while, like Star Wars or All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

When it's my turn, I try to be somewhat episodic, but I run it like a TV show.  Sometimes my story arc ends with the conclusion of the current storyline, other times I like to make it a cliffhanger (which always illicits groans of dismay from my players).  My current storyline started with the posse in New Orleans and they're hired to guard a steamboat taking a shipment of ghost rock ore up to Memphis.  I had a couple sessions in New Orleans, a couple just outside, and the posse got as far as Natchez before it was time for the other Marshal to take over.  It wasn't as much a part of the story as it was just the other Marshal being ready to take over, me being ready for a break and there being a convenient stopping point.

http://mail2web.com/ .