Re: [DL] (slightly OT) Sainthood

--- Janne Matti Oskari Vuorenmaa <jvuorenm@cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> > > Does anybody remember how it goes?
> > > Does anybody remember the "official" figures?
> > I think you have to be declared a martyr first, then
> > have at least 3 confirmed miracals after your death,
> > or something like that.
>
> Hmm.. I do disagree. Martyrdom is definitely not necessary, and I
> believe
> the church is a bit skittish about the confirmed miracles.
>
> If only I remembered my sources.

Can't remember your sources, sorry, but according to www.catholic.org
the process is as follows:

How does the Church choose saints?
Canonization, the process the Church uses to name a saint, has only
been used since the tenth century. For hundreds of years, starting with
the first martyrs of the early Church, saints were chosen by public
acclaim. Though this was a more democratic way to recognize saints,
some saints' stories were distorted by legend and some never existed.
Gradually, the bishops and finally the Vatican took over authority for
approving saints.

In 1983, Pope John Paul II made sweeping changes in the canonization
procedure. The process begins after the death of a Catholic whom people
regard as holy. Often, the process starts many years after death in
order give perspective on the candidate. The local bishop investigates
the candidate's life and writings for heroic virtue (or martyrdom) and
orthodoxy of doctrine. Then a panel of theologians at the Vatican
evaluates the candidate. After approval by the panel and cardinals of
the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, the pope proclaims the
candidate "venerable."

The next step, beatification, requires evidence of one miracle (except
in the case of martyrs). Since miracles are considered proof that the
person is in heaven and can intercede for us, the miracle must take
place after the candidate's death and as a result of a specific
petition to the candidate. When the pope proclaims the candidate
beatified or "blessed," the person can be venerated by a particular
region or group of people with whom the person holds special
importance.

Only after one more miracle will the pope canonize the saint (this
includes martyrs as well). The title of saint tells us that the person
lived a holy life, is in heaven, and is to be honored by the universal
Church. Canonization does not "make" a person a saint; it recognizes
what God has already done.

Though canonization is infallible and irrevocable, it takes a long time
and a lot of effort. So while every person who is canonized is a saint,
not every holy person has been canonized. You have probably known many
"saints" in your life, and you are called by God to be one yourself.

-Bryce "reference boy" Perry