Re: [DL] Crying posse (Black Chip debate)

--- Ben Rasmussen <nyddoybdyle@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

See, I agree with that. The game I run is first
edition deadlands so we use the old rules about Legend
chips, that they stay in the pot permanently (short of
using them to cancel a black chip) once they are there
but that the posse has to get a rep (via tale telling)
in order to achieve legend status. I also follow the
fear rule, you only get a legend chip if your actions
can result in a lowered fear level. As a result the
party has very few legend chips to their name but
we're all a bunch of first edition nuts anyway and
they seem to like it.
Because of this, the black chips they earn do not
leave the pot unless countered by a legend chip. As a
result I generally only consider a long term fear
level increase, or a major bad de-railing of history
to be worthy of cursing the party like that. Turn
Dodge into a Deadland, earn a black chip, invent a
ghost rock bomb and give it to the knights of the
golden circle, earn a black chip.
You know we have something like that exception you
made for them (about getting not getting a black chip
in the pot because there was no one left). In our
posse the only way they can claim access to the legend
chips they earn is if they had the story passed on to
them by someone who knew it. So if the posse I play
with were to get wiped out completely they'd be out
their legends and their black chips because there
would be no connection between the old posses
characters and the new ones.

Marshal_Black