Re: [DL] Deadlands Down under

First post "Bounce No 'content'."   Interesting error
message from the list. If any one sees a duplicate of
this post, this one has new material added so not to
be a complete bore.

> I giant Kiwi!  ARRRGH

The real fun came when having a few drinks and
discussing the concept of a giant kiwi (merely in jest
as it would be far too silly to contemplate in a
real game) to a couple of American friends. It wasn't
until near the end of the conversation that we
realised that to Americans "kiwi" refers to the fruit
and not the bird that it is to the rest of us. So they
were holding a mental picture of a monstrous furry
fruit terrorising their characters. Which then
inspired the thought of being chased by what appears
to be "the Devil's own testicles." If you didn't have
enough grit to start with, you would by the end of
_that_ chase. I won’t mention the discussion of
Manitou infested “mountain oysters”.

> I sriously considered sheep, but decided it might
> just
> be too silly.  I did have undead sheep an an
> abomination though.

Same here, too easy and just too silly to pull off in
a serious game. As it was, Maori myths and legends
have plenty of other beasties to draw from and we were
hardly short of creatures to throw at the potential
heroes.

I am ashamed to admit that we did plan to use "feral
sheep" on a number of encounters. Sheep that had been
in the wild on their own for too long and were tainted
by pollution (tailings from
Ghost Rock mines). These sheep turned to meat eating
and general mayhem. A rude surprise for the potential
heroes.

One of the advantages in planning campaigns in a small
country like NZ is the ability to figure in a wide
variety of terrain and environments (rain forest to
desert to mountain ranges to coastlines to rugged
bush) within a very short amount of character travel
time.

As an aside, I for one would be very interested in
your work on the Australian side of things. Checking
my records, we last discussed the rough concepts
around April 2001.  If you publish your work on the
net I would appreciate a link if you wouldn’t mind.

Cheers,
Mr. B

=====
"A lie gets halfway round the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." - Winston Churchill