Re: [DL] martial arts question

On Wednesday, June 19, 2002, at 01:25  PM, fire bandit wrote:

> I wanted to know how everyone is handling the Martial Artist under the
> D20 system. I'm currently converting my posse's chatacters over to D20
> so I can see how it's going to work and whether or not I should stay
> with the original system or change over to D20. One of them is a
> Martial Artist and the best thing I can come up with is to allow him
> the Monk class out of Player's handbook. What do ya'll think?

This was discussed recently... most felt the monk just wasn't quite
appropriate, but it's a make-do, i guess.

> Oh and one other thing, can someone explain to me the diffrence between
> the marksman feat and the special ability given to the Rifleman
> prestige class. You need the Marksman feat to get the coup de gras
> ability but the coup de gras ability seems weaker that the feat...I
> don't get it.

Sorry... I don't have the D20 book. Perhaps some text was copied from
the Weird Wars sniper or something and not edited properly?

> Ok...one more thing..this time I mean it...lol What's the general
> consensus with people on this listserve on Deadlands D20, how does it
> rank against the original system?

This is a subject with massive flame-bait potential!

Anyway, I play classic because:
a) It's what we started with.
b) I've noticed that many gamers feel that when playing a D20 game,
they're playing D&D. This shouldn't be true, but i've seen star wars
games get bogged dwn into standard-style D&D thrashing and
smack-talking...
c) I used to run my game in-store, and the classic Deadlands mechanics
make for great attractors... The cards and chips flying around get
people to look.

Anyway, play what works for you, and help keep food on PEG Inc's table...

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)