Re: [DL] martial arts question

On Wednesday, June 19, 2002, at 11:56  PM, Mary Payton wrote:
> <<  Ok...one more thing..this time I mean it...lol What's the general
> consensus with people on this listserve on Deadlands D20, how does it
> rank against the original system?>>
>
> I suppose I have to say "whatever floats your boat."  I have played
> both classic and d20 (although I've only run in classic).  Although I
> thank Pinnacle for broadening its fan base and its horizons with both
> systems

This is true... If I owned the books, I'd consider DLd20 a very valid
choice for 'one-off' games where the value of a system most gamers know
is there.

> (and thank them again for not retiring one when the other came
> out...Wizards of the Coast, I'm looking at you!), personally I prefer
> classic,

What did they do this to? I don't think WotC is exactly a great company
anymore for other reasons, but D&D3 is much more concise and a logical
successor to 2nd, which had grown very cumbersome.

It's also nice o see that they seem to hae trimmed their focus... While
it's left some settings unsupported and others have been reimagined, the
plan to focus on a setting at a time is probably a good one.

As much as I hate to say it, D&D3e is the only game I could run where I
would expect all of my players to own the player's handbook.

(although everyone in my group now ones some sort of Deadlands book, be
it out of date, current, or Hell on Earth.)

> mostly because of the freedom and creativity it allows for the marshal
> and the players.  Any point-based character system (including
> Hero/Champions) allows the player to "play around" with the different
> types of characters, rather than consigning them to the somewhat
> limited world of levels and classes.  For example, one can have a
> character with strengths in demolition, gun fighting, medicine, and the
> black arts, without the headache of experience points and level
> gaining.  Also, above all else, I look for originality in game systems,
> both in design and function.

True... I've reached a point in my curmudgeony old age (and I'm only
24!) where I consider any system without edges/flaws somewhat inferior...

Of course, Deadlands does have classes, they just arent as set as those
of most d20 games. Arcane Backgrounds are exclusive (with exceptions)
and require enough special skills to make the character useful that
other skills will, by default, have to become secondary.

> What other game ! system allows you to roll all them pretty d12s?  I
> tell ya...my "purple d12 of death" was a might neglected while playing
> the d20.  All in all, I guess I just can't be convinced to give up my
> poker cards or fate chips--if only the d20 system could have found a
> way to integrate at least the Fate Chips.  Alas!

Dream Pod 9 is revising their Silhouette system for their new game
(althoguh I think it's been pushed back a bit) and has considered
replacing the current use of d6 rolls with d12s to provide more
granularity... Could be amusing.

The lack of fate chips in DLd20 is surprising... Since Weird Wars II
uses 'bennies' for much the same thing, as does Star Wars d20, it's
surprising. Oh well, there are a lot of advantages, as it allows
Deadands to infect a group and makes them much more suceptible to a full
campaign later.

One big issue is, to me, that certain systems encourage certain styles
of play. CoC's sheer simplicity can, when run by a good GM, inspire the
players to play their characters very well. Classic DL can be cumbersome
at times, but still manages to focus on the things that are needed
without bogging down on things that aren't.

The d20 core is very good. It's concise, clear, and has mercifully few
opportunities for the rules lawyers to really bite down on. The
weirdness of 2nd has been cleared up and the concept of 'a new system
for every feature' has been banished. But it has the downside of
inspiring standard D&D 'dungeon crawl' play. Players start obsessing
over equipment, encumbrance, and similar.

For the record, as a marshall I'm often tempted to throw 'dungeon'
segments into my home brew adventures. The reasons were simple: I know
them (I grew up asking my parents for big (2' x 3' or so) things of
graph paper and would make massive dungeons, most of which I never even
stocked!) and my players know them. This is, i realize, something of a
mistake. besides the fact that I've reached the point where I don't like
subjecting my players to a dungeon who's existence I can't explain,
dungeon crawls, in Classic DL, get bogged down and tend to wear out the
players if done for any length.

Of course, an occasional 'old mine' inhabited by a few nasties can raise
the scare potential...

Also, as another point in d20's favor, I play in a d20 game, and it can
be very good... I think our group is split between serious talkers and
heavy fighters, but we coexist well and one or two members can pinch-hit
between the two groups. It still requires a good GM, but d20 doesn't
mean that every adventure will turn into a hack & slay fest.

'Course, I'm saving Night Train for one weekend when we need a filler
game.
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)