RE: [DL] cross-bow

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On
Behalf Of bruce boragine
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2002 1:11 AM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] cross-bow

ok joe,
i agree with you in some points, but, why the speed difference?

<<Snip>>

Please, call me Joseph. Only Shane and the other PEG goombahs are allowed to
simplify my monniker.

To each their own dude! I was just attempting to cobble together a SIMPLE
set of mechanics. My books weren't handy so I was going off the top of my
head.

In answer to your question the speed difference accounts for the fact that
the wielder was having to spend a teeny tiny more amount of time to recock
and reload the larger and heavier weapon. My reasoning was primarily from a
game balance point of view, i.e. bigger weapon slower to use in combat.
Granted there's plenty of factors for crossbow speeds chief among them was
how they were recocked. I know there's a device called a goats foot that can
speed up reloads big time but having to pull out a metal or wooden tool to
reload sounds a little slow to me! Also, there's the nifty mechanical crank
that was attached to the more advanced crossbows. What I was going for was a
simple "plant your foot and haul back" reloading procedure. Yes I agree with
you, stronger characters should have an easier time reloading crossbows but
as my intent was to keep the system very simple I did not venture into that
territory.

As for the strength, my statement was relating to the fact that the user's
strength wasn't a factor for determining damage such as in the case of an
injun's bow. From my limited experience, and believe you me my experience
with archery is very limited, crossbows do not have variable pulls.
Basically you yank the string behind the catch and that's all she wrote.
Bows on the other hand deliver different levels of force based upon how far
you pull the bowstring back thus the inclusion of the user's Strength trait
in the damage roll.

If you want a more sophisticated system for crossbows so be it but be
advised, no western I ever watched included a character who used crossbow.
And I don't count Dusk till Dawn in this assessment. There's a tendency in
RPG's to introduce nifty new weapons into the setting the only problem is
when the new, or in this case the old, weapon replaces those weapons more
appropriate for the setting. If crossbows or any weapon for that matter have
qualities that make it more desirable and effective than say Peacemakers or
Winchesters then you might want to reevaluate their inclusion in your game.

Like so many are want to say, your milage may vary. Do whatever you want,
afterall it's your game.

Regards,

--
Joseph C. Wolf