[DL] Dixie (Probably for Chris)

I just have a few questions relating to this fine southern song and I thought the Southerner by Grace of God would know (or a least make up accurate sounding answers). Though anyone who knows the answers, feel free. Firstly was Dixe historically the national anthem of the Confederacy? If not what was in the Deadlands world? And finally was it actually a criminal offence to be caught singing or whistling Dixie in Union territory?
Thanks
Alex