Re: [DL] Dixie

At 04:39 AM 7/1/2002, kartzoffs@optusnet.com.au wrote:
>Firstly was Dixe historically the national anthem of the Confederacy? If
>not what was in the Deadlands world?

         There never was an official (i.e., made so by an act of Congress)
national anthem, but _Dixie_ was closer to it than any other song on the
basis of popularity alone.
         Myself, I've always preferred _The Bonnie Blue Flag_, but they
didn't ask my opinion.;-)

>  And finally was it actually a criminal offence to be caught singing or
> whistling Dixie in Union territory?

         Not that I have ever heard. Abe Lincoln himself counted _Dixie_
among his favorite songs (though he judiciously waited until April 1865 to
admit this in public). That said, others would be wise to follow Mr.
Lincoln's example when on Yankee soil.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance RPG Writer At-Large
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_