Re: [DL] Blessed Hucksters

on 7/5/02 8:27 AM, Fred Jandt at fajandt@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Janne Matti Oskari Vuorenmaa <jvuorenm@cc.hut.fi>
> wrote:
>>
>> Not for the player types out there, mind you!
>>

>> You player types don't read that good, do ya? Shoo!
>>

>> I now have a posse member asking if his blessed can
>> become a huckster.
>>
>> His argument was, that God might help him to get to
>> the hunting grounds in
>> order to continue the battle there and that in his
>> case the harnessing of
>> the manitous power would be not as much tricking the
>> evil manitous, but
>> shepherding the benign ones.
>>
>> All of this started, when the posse's huckster
>> started to share his theory
>> on the occult.
>>
>> I'm about to deny the AB: Huckster from the blessed,
>> mostly because my
>> notion of the blessed does not sit well with
>> hucksterism -- God's (whether
>> or not being the christian omnipotent one or a
>> reckoner among the others)
>> warriors should be able to fight the good fight with
>> the powers He gives
>> them without the need for the aid of lesser spirits.
>> I was planning on
>> telling him (the player of the char) that the idea
>> does not sit well with
>> his character and its beliefs and explain my notion
>> with some extra spices
>> to a) avoid exposing anything and b) inserting a bit
>> of paranoia towards
>> the huckster.
>>
>> Whaddya think? Disagree? Why? Why not?
>>
>> Oh, I must add: The player in question is definitely
>> NOT a power gamer nor
>> a munchkin. After the conversation with the
>> Huckster, that idea is not
>> pushing it, IMO. Just that he really doesn't know
>> all that much about
>> hucksterism. Or my views on it.
>>

>> ----Hulkin' Finn
>
> Also, I would think any blessed who starts
> investigating hexes would soon find their blessed
> abilities starting to diminish as their ability to
> throw hexes increased. They may not see a difference
> in their eyes, but their power is definitely coming
> from different sources.

Not to argue your answer (cause I agree with it) but don't their powers
technically come from the same source? On page 102-103 of "Fire and
Brimstone" it says that the miracles come from the hunting grounds. It's
simply a matter of who is bestowing the power on the caster, but it's the
same power.

Or maybe I just argued in you favor by saying that.

Talison
--

"Best there is, best there was, best there ever will be."

Bret "Hitman" Hart