Re: [DL] Blessed Hucksters

On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 10:19  AM, Jeff Shoffner wrote:

> Some spoiler space is needed (I think)
>

>> I think would forfeit the chance of receiving any Miracles if you
>>> were consorting with demons or spirits
>> I would personally allow a player to use a Blessed Huckster if they
>> wanted
>> and heres why: they don't consort with Manitous. Hucksters & Hexes
>> says it
>> again and again: They laying one hell of a hurt on the manitou in a
>> mental
>> battle to force the Manitou to do the Hucksters bidding......
> Ah, but see, that is consorting with manitous--you may be beating the
> crap
> out of them to force them to work for you, but you are still getting
> something from them.  The Christian God frowns on that.  Haven't you
> heard
> of "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions?"

I have to agree... Religions aside, most roleplaying games tend to
underplay how territorial and intolerant most religions can get...
Considering that sometimes even variants of Christianity can't coexist
peacefully, I think that the Powers that Be might frown on any potential
rivals int he form of a blessed who's getting power from Manitous, no
matter how it's done.

This is especially true with the 'fire and brimstone' religious fervor
common in the Deadlands timeframe.

I like the idea of one AB replacing another, though, with the Blessed
powers fading as the huckster powers increase. There's no reason a
Huckster can't be faithful, after all.

Also, Blessed tend, at least in my game, to be somewhat respected by the
majority of 'god fearing folk.' A blessed huckster could use this to get
around one major disadvantage hucksters have in return for the flashy,
mass-effect spells they can get, which is the fear of being hanged as a
witch...
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)