[DL] Wound Penalties

Okay, I'm probably being partially lazy, but this particular problem keeps
popping up and i can not find a suitable answer in the books.

What exactly do wound penalties apply to? The book says every roll except
effect rolls but I'm still a little fuzzy on a few particular ones. Like the
following...

Guts Checks? Do wound penalties affect rolls to avoid fear? I can see both
sides on this one.

Strength checks for damage? I think they should apply here, but hey it's an
effect roll.

Vigor rolls to avoid Brawling damage?

Stun rolls? IE do current wounds and new wound penalties stack when taking a
wound?

Passive Defense? Obviously wounds effect Vamoosing, so one would assume it
would effect passive also... But this can make people incredibly easy to hit
or it can make Vamoosing pointless.

Do fear penalties that a character might acquire due to a failed guts check
or a phobia apply to any of the above?

Finaly, to switch gears a bit, can a die result go negative? If there is a
penalty of say -3 and a 2 is rolled is the result -1, 0, 1, or something
like a bust? Does it even matter? Do all contested rolls have an automatic
difficulty of 5?

Any help here would be appreciated. I sit on the fence on most of these and
when Marshalling tend to waffle back and forth much to the annoyance of my
players...

--
"Going to war over religion is like fighting over who has the better
imaginary friend."  - - Richard Jeni