Re: [DL] Wound Penalties

Ben,

The short answer is "every roll the character makes that they could chip."
(Legend chips excepted.)

I'll also comment on your examples.

--- Ben Rasmussen <Nyddoybdyle@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Guts Checks? Do wound penalties affect rolls to avoid fear? I can see
> both
> sides on this one.

Yes, they would apply.

> Strength checks for damage? I think they should apply here, but hey it's
> an
> effect roll.

Yes. As someone else commented, the strength part of that roll is not an
effects roll. As I would comment, that roll can be chipped.

> Vigor rolls to avoid Brawling damage?

Yes.

> Stun rolls? IE do current wounds and new wound penalties stack when
> taking a
> wound?

Sort of. The wound penalty is always based only on the worst current wound
the character has, so in that respect, they don't stack.

When a character is first wounded, they make a stun check without penalty.
Would penalties begin immediately after that stun check, whether passed or
failed. Any future wounds cause stun checks that would use the
pre-existing penalty. If the resulting wound causes a higher wound
penalty, all future rolls immediately take on that wound penalty.

Got it? Yeah, I didn't think so. I wrote that last paragraph, and I don't
even understand that gibberish. Trying again, more concisely: Wounds don't
result in a penalty to the stun check that they cause, but they create a
penalty which will apply to every subsequent test.

Is that better? Well, I hope it works. It's the best I can do.

This means that stun checks are potentially easier than the recovery
checks which follow a failed stun check, since those recovery checks use
the new wound penalty and the stun check didn't.

Lesson? Chip your stun roll. Avoid recovery rolls!

> Passive Defense? Obviously wounds effect Vamoosing, so one would assume
> it
> would effect passive also... But this can make people incredibly easy to
> hit
> or it can make Vamoosing pointless.

Passive defense? You mean adding your skill to the other character's TN in
hand-to-hand? That isn't a roll, so wound penalties wouldn't apply.

A badly-wounded, highly-skilled fighter is hard to hit, but she also can't
hit you as easily or as hard as normal, will suffer from penalized
quickness rolls, and if she does get hit, will take damage more easily.

It may not make perfect sense, but consistency is more important than
reason. :-)

> Do fear penalties that a character might acquire due to a failed guts
> check
> or a phobia apply to any of the above?

I would apply fear-generated penalties in the same ways as wound
penalties, or any other penalties. Anything you could chip is penalized.

> Finaly, to switch gears a bit, can a die result go negative? If there is
> penalty of say -3 and a 2 is rolled is the result -1, 0, 1, or something
> like a bust? Does it even matter? Do all contested rolls have an
> automatic
> difficulty of 5?

Yes, but it only really matters (off the top of my head) on a few things,
one of which is how much damage you take in hand-to-hand. A negative
result is not the same as going bust, as going bust usually has specific,
dire consequences.

HTH!

Jason

=====