Re: [DL] Wound Penalties

>What exactly do wound penalties apply to? The book says every roll except effect rolls but I'm still a little fuzzy on a few particular ones. Like the following...

I'm brand new to the game (I JUST finished the Player's Guide, and I'm starting the Marshal's Handbook), but I have some thoughts.

>Guts Checks? Do wound penalties affect rolls to avoid fear? I can see both sides on this one.

I would say yes, and the book (I believe) says that as well.  You're more likely to be scart with your guts hangin' out.

>Strength checks for damage? I think they should apply here, but hey it's an effect roll.

No, the actual Strength check part is a normal roll, and chips and Aces apply (the rules directly comment on these), so logically wound penalties would apply as well.  The additional weapon dice are NOT affected - those are the "effect" portions of the roll.

>Vigor rolls to avoid Brawling damage?

I would say yes.

>Stun rolls? IE do current wounds and new wound penalties stack when taking a wound?

I'm shaky on this.  I THINK it said that they don't apply to Stun checks, but I don't have the books on me right now.  I do know that only the highest wound penalty applies.

>Passive Defense? Obviously wounds effect Vamoosing, so one would assume it would effect passive also... But this can make people incredibly easy to hit or it can make Vamoosing pointless.

I'm not sure on this either.  That's one I'll have to look up.

>Do fear penalties that a character might acquire due to a failed guts check or a phobia apply to any of the above?

I'm still reading up on fear.  :-)

>Finaly, to switch gears a bit, can a die result go negative? If there is a penalty of say -3 and a 2 is rolled is the result -1, 0, 1, or something like a bust? Does it even matter?

I suppose they could (getting a -4 on a d4 Trait, for example), but I think it's just different flavors of failure.  Busts are pretty specific (more 1's than anything else).

Actually, that leads to a question of my own - if rolling an even number of dice (say, a pool of 4 dice), you get exactly HALF 1's (in this case, 2 1's), what happens?  My gut says it's still a bust, but I don't want to screw players over if it's not.

>Do all contested rolls have an automatic difficulty of 5?

Have to double check, but I think that is the default, but that isn't always the case.  I can't think of any examples that would push the difficulty up that wouldn't apply to the die roll instead.

Hope that helps.  I'm still learnin'. :-)

- Eddy