RE: [DL] Laudanum

I believe that laudanum is an opium derivative, so look in to the side
effects for that drug also.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On
Behalf Of Eddy Webb
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 3:23 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Laudanum

>IMO, I would give a -4 penalty to all traits except Spirit, Strength and
Vigor.  I can see someone whose mind has been dulled less affected by the
horrors of the west, and therfor would recieve a bonus to guts rolls.

Makes sense.  However, one of it's main uses was as a pain suppressant, much
like codeine is prescribed today, which is why I had the ignorance of would
penalties.  The medical information I have just lists, as side effects,
"dizziness, depression, unsual tiredness, etc." (well, outside of the
urination/vomiting side effects, but I don't see a -4 to peeing rolls being
appropriate).  Wasn't sure how much of an effect on the mind the drug has.

Also, in the movie "The Shootist", John Wayne's character takes a lot of
laudanum before a gun fight.  While it's a movie, the implication is that it
doesn't affect the mind/body THAT much.

But, short of spiking the pizza with it and lining players up to see what
happens to them at game sessions, I'm stuck with trying to guess an
appropriate modifier.  :-)

- Eddy