Re: [DL] Reno, Nevada

<< Hi Mary!

My posse is heading for Reno next session and I wanted to do some research
on the area. Can you point me to some on-line history of the area? (And
the Donner party*?)

I'd be much obliged!

Thanks!

Derek

* It just occurred to me that calling it a "party" is funny! (In a really
twisted way... ;-)>>

Hi Derek,

Not much is happening in Reno during this time.  The Comstock Load in Virginia City hasn't really hit yet, and Reno's really a stop over on the gold road to California (kind of like a 7-11 trading post).  However, in the Deadlands universe, who knows.  Perhaps there's a huge ghost rock deposit found in the Sierras and Reno is the last bastion of civilization, making it a kind of boom town.  It would also be famous considering its proximity to Pyramid Lake (Lahontan Lake to the Piutes), which is a major sacred spot (perhaps a place of meeting for the Ghost Dancers?)  Anywho, as for on-line research I'd check out the Nevada Historical Society at www.dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/museums/reno/his-soc.htm and Donnor Party research at www.members.aol.com/DanMRosen/donner/ .  Might want to also check out an awesome book on the Donner Party call "Ordeal by Hunger" by George Rippey Stewart.  Good luck in Reno (my home sweet home!)

Mary