RE: [DL] shootin' folks

I once read that in the American Revolutionary War, it is estimated that only 1 in every 200 musket balls fired hit someone! One of the main reasons the civil war was such carnage is that the introduction of rifled barrels increased this to about 1 in 20, but the generals took 3 years to notice! Of course training helps a lot, and professional soldiers do better than civilian conscripts. There could well be a case for a Grit bonus when shootin' - remember Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven saying that in a gunfight the man who has done it before almost always wins, because being cool under fire increases you chance of hitting HUGELY. The gunfight at the end of that movie struck me as very realistic - the grunts all panicking and firing wildly as Bill Munny picks them off one at a time with slow, methodical precision.

Indeed, I feel it would not be too unrealistic to make the base TN in a gunfight 9-Grit, rather than 5, the TN of 5 being used for shootin' when you aren't being shot at!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Shoffner [mailto:shoffner@esper.com]
Sent: Monday, 29 July 2002 4:14 a.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] shootin' folks

[bunch of stuff about why it is/is not possible to hit someone...]

And of course, with Allen's assessment of being off target by 20 centimeters
with a rifle, just think how much worse it is when you use a pistol & do a
snap shot.  I recall one of my cop buddies telling me that in the "cop under
fire" tests they do, they have a fairly low percentage of hitting the
target; not sure, but I think a 40% was considered excellent.  Then I think
of WWII measuring kills in tonnes of ammo, not rounds....  of course, that's
a different story though.

Jeff S