RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

If the Confederate government freed the slaves except in the direst need they would be seen as betraying their own people. Whatever southerners say about the war being fought over States Rights we all know that the Right that they were talkinga bout was the right to hold slaves! It was the significant difference between the sides (not that the North had some great moral superiority, its just that the Northern economy didn't need slaves to function)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ratbastryd@aol.com [mailto:Ratbastryd@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 4:19 p.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

In a message dated 7/31/2002 4:10:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mightygecko@juno.com writes:

<< So in the deadlands world, where the Confederacy has a strong hold, they
 would be more than comfortable to free the slaves. And since the slaves
 were freed by their own government, and not what they viewed as a foreign
 power, the hatred and racism would not be so strong.

But if they were winning, why would they bother? I was under the impression
that the planters and the lawyers were in control of the CSA (kinda like the
industrialists and the lawyers in the USA)- neither of whom would want to
free the slaves.

However, I don't mind too much. I never was one to worry to much about
historical accuracy in alternate history. According to quantum theory (or at
least my extremely limited grasp on it) there are worlds like the Deadlands
world.... except most quantum theorists would reject the supernatural and the
Reckoners... wouldn't they?

I think at the end of the day this game was written by Southerners, and
nobody wants to put down their home team. Sure as hell, if I were writing an
alternate-historical RPG and it was anywhere close to thematically
appropriate, the New England Confederation would be independent and powerful,
believe you me!

Peter Berard

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"

-Admiral David Farragut, Siege of Mobile

"Well, once you start thinking you're the Pope, it's a short step to
murdering people"

-Detective Briscoe, Law and Order