RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

The Irish were always a small minority in the English army and were never in a position to overthrow the British government. obviously life was more comfortable in the army that at home and they were paid more - hence they were happy to fight, but the British crown was never insane enough to station 10,000 armed Irishmen in London! Also of course, the Irish never fought against their own would be liberators!

A large army of armed slaves in Richmond would have meant the end of the Confederacy, and they knew it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Allan Seyberth [mailto:darious@darious.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 4:08 p.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

I can't believe I'm going to argue the other side of this. . . Miles is
going to be rolling in his hopeful grave. . .

Actually.  Why am I arguing this?  Your mind is closed on this, and I don't
have the patience that McGlothlin had with me. . .

I will give you a hint for further research.  New Orleans.

And I ask you this.  Given what you claim below, why would the Irish fight
for the English?