Re: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 08:57 AM 8/1/2002, balance@tubas.net wrote:
>I thought -and this may be wrong- that I had heard many slave owners by
>the Civil War era had decided it was actually cheaper to free the slaves
>and keep them on as, essentially, a variant on medieval serfs.

         Slave-owners of the period were far too terrified of the revenge
freed slaves might (inevitably, in their opinion) seek against their former
masters to have ever considered this. In the period literature, it's their
main argument against emancipation.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_