Re: [DL] First Deadlands D20 session

 >Also, another list member had a great idea a few months ago... He or she
 >runs a basic scenario using template characters or other pre-gens
 >without any real weirdness or heavy firepower. The characters then go
 >through a 'Dawn of the Dead's style experience and likely don't survive.

That's me.  And I swear by this tactic.

Though it's more of a "Night of the Living Dead" thing - I fill the saloon
with NPCs and anyone who gets killed by a zombie comes back as one a few
rounds later.  I usually put in one Blessed, but that's the only mojo-man
in the saloon.  The zombies are the classic style of slow and shuffling,
except for two of the Deadlands style zombies in the rear of the
horde.  They are great to keep the combat scenario from getting stale.  Two
typical quotes that I've heard are
"What do you mean, it's shooting at me?  It's a ZOMBIE."
"Huh, it's OUTRUNNING me?!?"

I love introducing players to the game in this fashion.  It allows them a
glimpse into the rules before committing to a character, shows them just
how deadly the system can be (what do you mean I've only got 5 hit points),
allows them to experience just a hint of the supernatural, and gives them a
goal that different from the typical hack and slash gaming experience they
might have had.  Survival.

Besides, they say you never get a 2nd chance to make a first
impression.  Well, getting a TPK on the first night makes one hell of an
impression.