Re: [DL] Getting Started

On Sunday, August 4, 2002, at 08:10  PM, Elliott Wong wrote:

> Thanks for the advice about starting a Deadlands
> campaign. I am going to push my players to using the
> regular Deadlands ruleset instead of d20.
>
> Now, in regard to these rules, I think I have some of
> the basics down, but I do have a couple of questions.
>
> What good are attributes? Let's say that I have 4
> levels of 'bluff' and my Smarts Trait is d8 and my
> coordination is 3 (hearts). I would roll 3d8 because
> that is my Smarts/Coordination but how does the actual
> 'bluff' attribute modify those rolls? Does it make the
> Target Number smaller? eg. I'm told that the TN is 5
> but since I have 4 levels of bluff I only need to roll
> a 1?

Nope. You roll the bluff level as the number of dice and the trait as
the die type.

Where this gets weird is how untrained skills are handled. I play fast
and loose on these (basically, making judgments as to if it's even
possible) but basically, the only 1 die of the appropiate trait is
rolled with a hefty penalty.

You only roll the 3d8 when it's a generic smarts roll, for example
something no skill would ever be made for.

> Thanks. There will probably be more questions as I
> continue to go through the rules.

Not a problem. As others have said, the current revised books explain
the base rules a bit better, though they aren't perfect. A good idea
would be to do a one-on-one adventure with one player to give you a
chance tor un through combat and other basics to learn without as much
pressur.
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)