[DL] Getting Started

Thanks for the advice about starting a Deadlands
campaign. I am going to push my players to using the
regular Deadlands ruleset instead of d20.

Now, in regard to these rules, I think I have some of
the basics down, but I do have a couple of questions.

What good are attributes? Let's say that I have 4
levels of 'bluff' and my Smarts Trait is d8 and my
coordination is 3 (hearts). I would roll 3d8 because
that is my Smarts/Coordination but how does the actual
'bluff' attribute modify those rolls? Does it make the
Target Number smaller? eg. I'm told that the TN is 5
but since I have 4 levels of bluff I only need to roll
a 1?

Thanks. There will probably be more questions as I
continue to go through the rules.

Elliott