Re: [DL] Getting Started

At 10:31 PM 8/4/2002, Mr.Elliott Wong wrote:
>Anyway, I happen to have Hucksters and Hexes and was
>wondering what other books I should try to get.
>Someone suggested Law Dogs, but that seems to exist
>solely as an eBook (retail) and I haven't seen it on
>eBay as used. Other suggestions?

         Hi, Mr. Wong--Welcome aboard, good sir!

         Marshal's Screen, if you don't already have one, is a must-get.

         The cardboard maps in Boomtowns make that a good purchase, esp. if
you're using any minis or Cardstock Cowboys. The Cowboys are great, too, if
you can find them.

         Law Dogs is popular because of the huge gun list in it, and that's
all-around useful stuff. The eBook version is worth getting if you're
running DL Revised Edition rules, 'cause everything's converted to that
standard.

>I do like the idea of starting the group slow with
>bank robberies and bounty hunting before introducing
>them to some of the weirder elements. Are there
>recommended source books as well?

         IMHO, it depends a lot on what archetypes your players are
running. Each of the archetype books has options best made available to
then during character creation (or soon after).
         Most of the other books are only valuable if you're planning on
taking your Posse there. The Great Maze does you little good if your game
is never getting close to California, for example.
         I hate to toot my own horn, but Tales o' Terror: 1877 gives you a
good picture of where the game world is heading, even if it's not
immediately useful to your storylines. Take the co-writer's word for it.:-)

         Hope this helped...

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_