RE: [DL] old post, but mainly directed at Chris McGlothlin....

At 12:09 AM 8/5/2002, you wrote:
>I see your point of course, but since the Virginia State legislature
>believed the US Constitution no longer applied to their State, they could
>hardly invoke it as a reason for West Virginia's secession to be
>considered unlawful.

         Well, regardless of how I might feel about it, the whole argument
about whether or not the US Constitution applied to Virginia was settled in
the Union's favor. Had the South won, they could've argued the Union had no
right to annex land from another sovereign nation, but they didn't, so they
had to argue from the Northern understanding of The War and the
Constitution: that Virginia never left Federal authority.

>Virginia must have said it was unlawful under the CSA constitution,

         They didn't, actually. As noted above, arguing anything under the
CSA Constitution in this (postbellum) Supreme Court case would've been a
waste of time. Virginia argued the Northern (aka, the winner's)
perspective, and even the Yankees wound up saying, "Yeah, they're right,
but let's just ignore that, OK?"

>  but their moral right to enforce this on a group of US citizens who were
> forced to leave the US against their will in the first place is extremely
> questionable.

         No one forced them to leave the Union. The State the western
Virginians were citizens of voted to leave the Union. If that was a legal
move, they had but to move North. If secession was illegal, nothing changed
their Union citizenship status.
         If secession was legal, as Virginia citizens, they were subject to
whatever laws the Confederacy and the State imposed on them. If secession
was illegal, they had no obligation to obey any sort of insurrectionist
coercion.
         Dividing Virginia was illegal in any case, and the North admitted
so before the Supreme Court. Case closed, IMHO.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_