[DL] Re: Artistic??

"Deadlands has some terrible rules (roll to hit, then
for location, then for damage, then for wind, then for
stun! Come on Shane what were you thinking when you
invented that one?) and some excellent ones (cards for

initiative, fate chips, the seperation of wounds and
wind), but at least its primary motivation for
existing is artistic. I don't think this claim can be
made for DL or CoC D20."

so much for permanent lurk mode....

When did RPG's become an art form? I always thought
they were a form of entertainment. Mind you, I suppose
there is an "art" to game design (as opposed to a
science).

Any time a form of entertainment starts to think of
itself as "art", it becomes artificial and will
eventually lose popularity. Example: Swing, a form of
jazz that was for dancing, as opposed to modern jazz,
which you couldn't dance to if you tried.

Shane is a good game designer and Deadlands is a great
game. But pardon me if I don't think that "art" was
the motivation behind it's design; I hope fun was, and
I'm sure the idea of making a buck off something fun
was as well.

I do apologize for my outburst but I am just sick of
reading this list for cool ideas for Deadlands and
instead seeing slamming on d20. Oh, and my group, some
of whom are longtime CoC players, vastly prefer the
d20 version, as do I. I always hated that resistance
table.

Allen