Re: [DL] Alchemy Question

Brett wrote:
> I just reread that section today, and I think the division is something
> of a rule-of-thumb rule. In general, the difficult aspect seems to be
> that the potions can provide the power, but not the control... For
> example, the fire-breathing potion uses an existing mechanism to control
> it... The wonderfully complciated apparatus of the human mouth, capable
> of respiration, food intake, and a range of other tricks.
>
> Either way, it's the marshall's call where the line is.

I just re-reread that bit: "An elixir may only alter or affect the person or object upon which it is used. It's not possible to create an elixir that allows a person to throw fireballs from his fingertips, because the fireballs would be affecting something other than the person who drank the elixir." I don't know how you got 'power not control' out of that, btw. :)

> No problem. I think the core of the rules for Mads in general is that
> theory and concept are more important than rules any day.

Glad to hear it. That's the way I tend to think, too...

> > Undead Attractor
> > Undead Repellent
> Both of these seem reasonable to me, though the backstory could be
> improved perhaps. I like the animal issue with the second one.

Yeah, as I said, they're nowhere near done yet. Just sketches to put forth the concept.

> The undead attractant makes a better toss-potion, in my mind. The idea
> of undead bait sounds more ghoulish and up the alley of the averal
> alchemical Mad. I'm also reminded of a gadget from a Ghostbusters game
> that acted as ghost bait, and all the unsavory options for components
> this allows.

This was my thought as well: an instant sacrificial lamb (or huckster, saloon gal, etc.) for when times get tough, or a method of redirecting zombie-types back onto the person(s) who command/side with them. "G'bye, Bob..."

> The repellant I'd keep as a potion, though. The effects of it seeming to
> come out in the drinker's sweat would be hard to resist.

Again, I concur, though I originally saw it (and the Mimicant) as a lotion to be applied externally.

> I assume the major malfuction for each is the reverse of the intended
> effect.

I've never been a big fan of Malfunctions causing the opposite of their intended effect. If you're making aqua regia, for example, you're not going to screw up and get Kool-aid (assuming, of course that aqua regia and Kool-aid are chemical opposites :) ). I prefer to come up with novel Malfunctions that work off of the intended function.

> > Undead Mimicant
>
> This seems very powerful in some games... I'd be a bit hesitant to allow
> it, myself.

I don't think it's -that- powerful. It certainly isn't going to work in a surprise combat situation, since it has to be carefully applied in order to cover the user's scent completely. Also, it isn't going to fool Abominations or Harrowed, just the mass-animated 'mindless' undead like the walkin' dead.

> The main issue with all of these is that they would seem to be based of
> the type of knowledge Academia: Occult covers. Only certain mads would
> even have this kind of knowledge, but your character may be one of them,
> I guess!

Any specialized knowledge required would tend to take some of the sting out of their potential power, though. In fact, finding or being given some, then wanting to learn to make more could be a quest in and of itself for an Alchemist character.

I appreciate your comments, Brett. Thank you!

Derek D. Bass
--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup