Re: [DL] Alchemy Question

On Monday, August 26, 2002, at 07:11  PM, Wangenstein wrote:

> Having poured over S&R, I find that I don't quite understand one of the
> limitations placed on Alchemy: that it cannot affect anyone other than
> the person using the potion/balm/etc.
>
> The example given is that you can't make a potion that permits the
> drinker to shoot fireballs from his fingertips, because the fireballs
> would affect someone other than the drinker. But then (without the
> books in front of me), isn't there a 'fire-breathing' potion? What's
> the difference, other than range? For that matter, where do smoke
> capsules and sleep gas fit into that rule?
>
> Is there some errata or other clarification I've missed?

I just reread that section today, and I think the division is something
of a rule-of-thumb rule. In general, the difficult aspect seems to be
that the potions can provide the power, but not the control... For
example, the fire-breathing potion uses an existing mechanism to control
it... The wonderfully complciated apparatus of the human mouth, capable
of respiration, food intake, and a range of other tricks.

Either way, it's the marshall's call where the line is.

> My reason for wanting to know is that I was working on a few ideas for
> potions, but they 'affect' others when used. Conceptually, what do you
> think? (BTW, these are far from complete. I scribbled them together at
> work today, without any rulebooks to finish/polish them up with.)

No problem. I think the core of the rules for Mads in general is that
theory and concept are more important than rules any day.

> Derek D. Bass
> Etheric Musings - The Science of the Sons of Ether
> http://www.steamenginechaos.com/mage/ether.htm
>
> Undead Attractor – Anything doused with this otherwise odorless formula
> takes on a scent perceptible only to the undead. To Harrowed, walkin'
> dead, abominations and the like, the subject possesses a strong aroma
> of fresh brains. Any essentially mindless undead, like the walkin'
> dead, in the area will immediately converge on the subject in order to
> eat, preferring the subject to all other available targets. Harrowed,
> abominations and other "intelligent" undead will certainly notice the
> subject, but are free to act normally.
>
> Undead Repellent – This formula creates a scent that is abhorrent to
> the undead (and given the aroma of the average corpse, that’s saying
> something). Mindless undead will attempt to keep a distance between
> themselves and the doused subject unless directly ordered to advance.
> They will, however, mill about the subject, attempting to find a way
> around the stench to reach the subject. If forced to remain close to
> the subject (such as by being trapped into a corner by the subject),
> the undead will advance and attack the subject until it is able to
> leave the area. For the formula’s duration, the user suffers the same
> penalties concerning animals as do the Harrowed.

Both of these seem reasonable to me, though the backstory could be
improved perhaps. I like the animal issue with the second one.

The undead attractant makes a better toss-potion, in my mind. The idea
of undead bait sounds more ghoulish and up the alley of the averal
alchemical Mad. I'm also reminded of a gadget from a Ghostbusters game
that acted as ghost bait, and all the unsavory options for components
this allows.

The repellant I'd keep as a potion, though. The effects of it seeming to
come out in the drinker's sweat would be hard to resist.

> Minor Malfunction – The formula works, but the smell is such that all
> living beings in the area of effect (including the wearer) must make a
> roll to avoid spending 1d4 rounds being violently ill.

I assume the major malfuction for each is the reverse of the intended
effect.

> Undead Mimicant – This oily, gray formula masks the wearer’s scent as a
> living being, making them appear, at least to mindless undead, to be a
> walkin’ dead. All mindless undead in the area will completely ignore
> the wearer for the formula’s duration. The user must cover themselves
> in the Mimicant in order for it to mask their scent. As the formula
> wears off, any undead in the wearer’s vicinity will start to detect the
> user’s presence, but will be unable to determine their location.
> Minor Malfunction – The formula works, but only half as long as listed.
> Major Malfunction – The formula works normally, but reacts with the
> wearer’s skin, causing it to turn gray and blotchy with red patches.
> For the next 24 hours, the wearer looks more than a little like a
> walking corpse and has the Ugly as Sin Hindrance.

This seems very powerful in some games... I'd be a bit hesitant to allow
it, myself.

The main issue with all of these is that they would seem to be based of
the type of knowledge Academia: Occult covers. Only certain mads would
even have this kind of knowledge, but your character may be one of them,
I guess!

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)