Re: [DL] Heart O'Darkness <spoilers>

--- Reemull <reemull@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> This contains spoilers for the Fortress O'Fear
> trilogy of adventures,
> especially the second part of the trilogy.

> I've been running my posse through the heart of
> darkness, they've
> almost completed the second part of the trilogy and
> I don't think
> they'll be going any further.  I had intended to do
> some rejigging of
> the third and final part to make it fit my game,
> however I've found
> that with the second part the posse are pretty much
> sick of chasing an
> item of unknown power for money that they don't
> expect to receive.
>
> One player remarked that the whole trip to the Rock
> was a complete
> waste of time.  He thought that being slapped about
> the face with
> Grimmes evil wasted the atmosphere of the game that
> had existed up
> until that point.  He also mentioned that moving the
> adventure to "the
> Rock" seemed as if the writer had a cool location
> and felt he had to
> use it, rather than actually having a reason for
> leading the group to
> the Rock.
>
> I kind of felt hard pushed to argue against him as
> the whole trip to
> the Rock puts the characters through lots of pain
> for minimal gain.
> Has anyone else thought this?
>
> I've ended up deciding to scrap the third part of
> the trilogy and to
> write my own shorter finale.  I was never
> particularly fond of the
> whole time travel issue - so I guess I get to avoid
> it now.

With this one, it was me, not my posse that had
feelings similar to this. I was still ok with the 2nd
adventure, they got some money and smacked around a
bit. However, when I read the 3rd part, the whole
aliens concept just got to be too much for me. They've
been running all over the west, looking for the big
answer, then, out of the blue, a bunch of aliens are
plopped into the plot. I likened it to reading a
murder mystery and then having the murder introduced
on the last page.

What I did, was totally rewrote the ending. There's a
bunch of technology in the place, right? They were
getting the rock for Hellstrome, right? From the
future lass, we discover that he's still around. So,
who should they find in Devil's Tower, but the
"future" Hellstrome, teched up and all, waiting for
the return of his precious rock.

I found this a much more satisfying ending. Everything
now comes full circle. Hellstrome, pissed that he
didn't get his stone, finds out what happens, goes to
devil's tower and builds the time machine inside. Each
layer is now full of Hellstrome monstrocities and
victims of his madness instead of some arbitrary
aliens.

That may be something you want to try. In the end, you
can give them something like a Hellstrome blue print,
which is very valuable or some nice gadgets laying
around in the place.

=====