Re: [DL] Minimum Weapon Range?

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:55:02PM -0700, Elliott Wong said:
> How do you folks handle the longer weapons in melee? I
> mean, if a zombie's got their fangs in someone's
> shoulder, the hero isn't able to fire their shotgun,
> right? Do you handle that as a penalty - make it an
> onerous target number, etc?

 Gun-fu!

 Here's some house rules I cooked up a while back that we sometimes use:

So there you are, blazing away at an Injun waving a tomohawk as he charges
toward you, and he gets to you and hits you, and it hurts, but since you're
better with a shooter than you are with a gun-shaped club, you want to shoot
back at him regardless, but you can't find any rules to govern such
situations. Bummer.

Here's the rules we use.

You can fire a pistol in hand-go-hand combat, but because your opponent is
more than likely intent on keeping that thing pointing elsewhere, he gets to
add his Fightin' level to your target number, same as if you were trying to
punch him.  However, due to the nature of guns and how they deal with
distances, he doesn't get any Defensive Bonuses from weapons he may be using.
You roll your Shootin' to hit, rather than your Fightin', but you add 2 to
your Hit Location roll.

For your part, you can still add your Fightin' skill level to his target
number to hit you.

If you're using a rifle or full-length shotgun in hand-to-hand combat to shoot
with, you get a -2 to your roll to hit. If you're using a scattergun (or other
in-between length gun, Marshal's discresion as always) you only incur a -1 to
hit. Oh yeah, due to the fact that the shot isn't going more than a few inches
before reaching its intended target and therefore doesn't have a chance to do
any crazy distance-related stuff, you don't get your +2 for using a shotgun or
scattergun, or the -2 (or whatever it is) for firing a slug from one of those.
On the other hand, you do full point-blank damage if you hit...

 What do folks reckon about these?  To powerful?

 Wishkah

--
       | This is pointless and will only promote in-jokes and cliquism.|