Re: [DL] Must have books.

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 06:15  AM, Evil Robot Shane From
Another Dimension wrote:
>  I do run the game in my own home, so I'm not limited by bag space but
> by
>  chronic laziness.  So, after hauling myself out of bed at
> five-to-High-Noon
>  of a Sunday morning, the armful of books I bother to haul all the way
> from
>  my bookshelf (upstairs) to the kitchen table (downstairs) are:

I'm in this situation now, but I still have to have the regular pre-game
Gathering of the Tomes as I check the kitchen, bedroom, under the bed,
etc. for books...

<snip>

>  The posse contains a mad scientist, a huckster, and a couple of
> ex-soldiers
>  (one of whom is Harrowed), so basically there's a sourcebook for each,
>  although of course they're not allowed actually LOOK at them.
> Probably a
>  good bet is buying the appropriate sourcebook for each of your posse
> members,
>  and then when they die off and make new characters you can use that to
>  embiggen your collection.

I do let my posse see the 'splatbooks' as needed during play, but i
won't be loaning them out any time soon. For example, I have a blood
mage int he posse, and he's not going to read the 'good parts' of Unholy
Alliance.

>  Each of the three setting box sets is excellent, so if you only want
> one
>  you just need to decide which theme suits you best.  Personally I
> wouldn't
>  bother with Black Circle and that sort of thing for now, that's
> storyline
>  advancing stuff and it's best to start new players off not having to
> know
>  too much about the way the world works and who the movers and shakers
> are.

Yup. If I was starting a campaign fresh I'd probably use either the
Great Maze or River o' Blood box sets as the framework. Allow the posse
to combine belongin's points to buy a maze runner easier, or introduce
the concept from Lost Colony and have a ship with a lot of strigns
attached, like a crime lord type as the owner of the loan!

Also, using that kind of framework and being up front about it makes it
easier on the players to let them decide.

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)