Re: [DL] after The Last Stop

Run a completely mundane adventure.

It's your best chance to establish a baseline normality to the Weird West,
before starting the inevitable "weirdness" escalation.  And you only have
to have one such adventure and it will stick in your player's minds
throughout the campaign.

Otherwise, the party picks up the mindset of weirdness everywhere and
everytime you tell them that they come across a "normal looking town" they
immediately start looking under rocks for the strangeness.  When running a
horror game, you design the villians around the characters, but you design
everything else around the /players/.

None of this is actually helpful to you, I know.

To sum up, you have a party of four  - two of which have mojo powers, and a
third who is at least  lightly briefed on "something being out there." And
the entire party has been thrown headfirst into zombies and mad science. . .

Heh.

I'd recommend taking the party to Las Cruces and having them spend some
time there - at least until the next train comes through.  Have Wilder
explain away the zombies, et al as just a "typical" research line of the
new science.  Be ready with pseudo-science babble of stimulating electrical
impules and bio-kinetics and . . . go into the speech until your players'
eyes start to glass over.
I'd probably spend an hour or so of game time playing that out - killing
time in a small town, filling out paperwork on the attack, answering
questions from the railway agent (probably Bayou V that far South), AND
from a Texas Ranger.  (That ought to make the Agent very nervous, seeing as
he is knee deep in Confederate Territory)

While mundane is not very interesting, the hook to this section should be
establishing that the mundane exists, and building up the false depth of
the setting via dropping bits about the background - ie - the Bayou
Vermillion rail agent, the fact that New Mexico is Confederate (which ties
into the ongoing Civil War), the Texas Ranger, how the populous of the town
treats the New Science with suspicion but not necessarily with superstition.

Maybe even toss in a Catholic Priest for the Blessed, a coolie rail laborer
for the Martial Artist, and play up Jenny for the Gunslinger.  Some good
roleplaying bits that, if any of the players bite and strike up a
friendship, you can have them meet the NPC again down the road - and have
'em slaughtered off by the villain of that adventure, preferably while the
PC is watching.  :-)

Have the party take the next train out, which is likely to come in the next
day or two.  And then the train gets robbed - either by the Laughing Men or
some Legionnaires up from Mexico on a raid.  Again, a bit more background
is introduced and they get some action - but without any supernatural bits
involved.

After all of this, it depends on you.  If you have a meta-plot or goal you
want to try, then start working it in.  Or if you are looking towards
another published adventure, there is Independence Day, Don't Drink the
Water, and/or PC Death Train.  I'd hold off on PC Death Train for a bit
though - until the party has gotten a bit of experience AND until you can
introduce a few deserted train stops to the party.  If you can stretch that
out over two or three adventures, it creates a better impact when they do
encounter the Night Train.

On the train out, have it hit by bandits.  Real bandits.  It can either be
the Laughing Men or French Legionaires raiding north of the border.

Las Cruces is just a stone's throw away from both Texas and Mexico.