Re: [DL] State of the Industry

> On 10/6/02 11:20 AM, "Dregg" <grithtech@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Lately I have been so Anti D20,

Personally, I like d20.  (Hold on a sec, give me a chance!) But only for
actual D&D.  I think 3rd edition made some amazing changes for the better.
And what they didn't get right, I get from playing HackMaster!  Hoody hoo!
Uhh...  Where'd that come from? :-)

Anyway, yes Shane, thank you for your observations.  I found them very
interesting.

I am truly amazed at the glut of d20 products (even for D&D) alone.  (I
mean, how many ultimate <insert class or race> books can there possibly be?
Apparently a hell of a lot more than I ever imagined! :-)

Generally, if I really like a game I'll collect everything for it. Deadlands
("classic"!) for example! ;-)  However, for D&D related d20 that's not only
impossible (not being richer than Bill Gates) but not practical (see above
comment on ultimate "whatever" books).  I think the overwhelming number of
products actually hurts sales.  People will be more selective than they
might be were the product line more limited.

I don't think d20 is going away any time soon, but I think there will be a
lot fewer players (meaning companies creating product) in the next few
years.  People will start with D&D (like many of us did) and move on to
other systems as they see all the other cool games out there.

As far as Clan War, I'm really sorry to see them call it quits.  They had a
really good game.  But if you've already invested heavily in a GW game why
would you reinvest in a new non-GW game?  It's going to be a long while (if
ever) before someone can even come close to competing with GW in the mini
game department.

Wizkids...  Wow!  When Mage Knight first appeared I figured it would be a
fad.  But look at them now.  License for BattleTech and the major coup:
Marvel Superheroes!  Amazing.

Take care,

Derek