RE: [DL] New Mad Scientist's Edge

> BAH!  I say!  And bah again!
>

> 'Ware the spoilers ahead!

> One problem I see.  Even the slowest browser spirit from the future (would
> he be running on dial-up?) would know how the world was terror-formed into a
> Hell on Earth.  No way is it going to assist the future destroyer of the
> world.

I don't know about that. If the browser knows how the world nearly ended, it must know that it was due to the invention of ghost-rock bombs, not the spring-loaded auto-toaster. I suppose it depends on whether or not browser spirits look at the 'big picture' (deciding what's 'best' for Mankind) when assisting a junker. The Manitou were very 'big picture', but they had their own reasons.

> I'd say drop the "future" version.  Instead, make them all "proto-browsers."
> The 3 point version just gives assistance in certain specialty, and the 5
> point version is the Tool browser which affects all inventions.  This also
> simplifies things where you don't have a "more useful" 5 point spirit than
> others.

Yeah, I considered the drawbacks of having a generic Tool spirit vs. a specific type, but I thought I'd include the concept and see what people thought. (And since, right now, 'people' = 'you', it looks like it'll probably be dropped.)

> I don't really like the reduction of the hand needed to build a device; the
> odds vary greatly between getting one poker hand and the next, so I prefer
> not to mess with that.

Hmmm. That is a good point. Much easier to adjust rolls and provide more cards when creating a blueprint. Okay, I'll buy that!

> I would go with a +2 to blueprint design and
> tinkerin' rolls.  Raises on either of these rolls add to Reliability which
> can give that benefit you were looking for, and the bonus ups the odds of
> getting to draw an extra card when making your hand which means a better
> chance to create the device.  Of course, it also means a better chance of
> drawing the joker, but I'd say that's the drawback of having a tech spirit
> tying you to the Hunting Grounds.

Y'know, sometimes, you think pretty good. ;) That simplifies things quite a bit.

> So, there.  You happy now!  ;-)

You better believe it, mister, or I'm dead where you stand. ;) I'd much rather be shot down (or at least, winged) than be ignored completely. Thanks for taking the time to work out your helpful suggestions. I've found that my concepts pass muster, but my game mechanics need work. Doesn't help that I don't have a group with whom to play Deadlands. I'll rework it using your suggestions and run it back up the flagpole.

> Clint Black

Thanks again, Clint.

Derek D. Bass
--