Re: Double Action weapons ( Was: [DL] E-books @ www.rpgnow.com)

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 12:03  PM, Marshal Mike wrote:

>> I think by the rules, it can't... Only single-action
>> weapons can be
>> fanned, but the double-action weapons can take two
>> shots. There's a
>> single-action and double-action Peacemaker, however.
>> Maybe one of the
>> list's more knowledgable firearm experts can jump
>> in.
>
> I know that a double action can't be fanned, but the
> guy was telling me that double action guns in that
> time period didn't have hammers in the back... that
> they were smooth, flush... hammerless.  He was saying
> THAT was the reason why they couldn't be fanned.

Ah, OK, i think i understand. I'm not exactly a firearms expert
myself... IIRC, the hamemr is their, it's just mechanically moved such
that fanning doesn't work right, correct?

I may be getting curmudgeonly in my old age, but I've started getting
aggresive about ending the pointless arguments like this that tend to
pop up in gaming... So many times I've seen a player and the GM, or two
players, arguing for ten minutes before they realize that they actually
agree. The sad thing is, I tend to do this most when I'm a player...