Re: [DL] New Marshal joining the list

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 09:17  AM, Marshal Mike wrote:

> Howdy!
> I'm pretty new on the Listserv AND at Marshalin',
> myself.  This is a great place to exchange ideas and
> get some great information.
> So, welcome!  Pull up a space at the bar and getcha a
> glass o' sasparilla!

Only way to learn is with practice.

> Update from this new Marshal's game, for anyone who's
> interested:
> The one player who was arguin' about double action
> pistols shut his yap when enough info was given.
> (Thanks to everyone that helped me on that!)

Good to hear. I'm getting more aggressive about stopping player
arguments the older I get, I notice. They just waste everybody's time.
My rule, when playing, si to go with the GM's word whenever possible
and leave the arguing for later.

> After two sessions, I've FINALLY gotten everyone
> together.  I've creeped them out at least one and a
> half times and it seems like they're yearnin' for
> more!

Always good... I'm doing my pre work for sending my HoE posse thorugh
Urban Renewal, and I'm hoping to get a few honest scares out of it.

What was the problem getting them together? I've firmly decided that
next time I start a campaign, I'm going to have a dinner out with my
players to formulate a working framework to give the posse some common
ground. A group of good-hearted bandits that want to be heres, maze
prospectors, a military group, MiBD etc.

> The one thing that I'm happy about is the fact that
> they're pretty happy that this game isn't startin' off
> as a shoot 'em up gunfight at the deadlands corall.
> I've been trying my best to start things off with a
> murder type mystery... with differences... sexy
> differences.  Um... I mean, WEIRD differences.

One thing that helped my posse with this was a reminder on the benefit
of Overawing opponents. Getting chips for avoiding combat is a nice
reason to avoid it...

> The only problem I'm havin' is comin' up with
> something to keep them together and keep the game
> going when this particular adventure reaches its
> conclusion.  *shrug* I'll come up with somethin'!  My
> best stuff always comes up on the fly! ;)
> But, once again, welcome aboard!

I've found that if the posse has a good reason to join together,
they'll stay together. If one encounters some weirdness, it's nice to
have backup that has as well...