[DL] Mad Science Arcane background.

spoilers

Is thier any real point in buying this advantage? In
the dozen or so games of deadlands I've been in, and
all the other's I've personaly heard of, the typical
MS starts off with the one invention he's built, uses
it, and then never uses the mechanics of the edge
ever again. I've yet to see a MS acually sit down and
make up something new, so could not a player make a
guy that has up to 5 points of belongin' and roleplay
the rest of it rather then spend the 5 points on the
Arcane background, on the one level of Mad science
which he will never use, and on the one level in
science which he will seldom use.

The huckster AB on the can spend the same number of
points on its AB, one level of acdemia:occult (a
skill that might be used every game) and then gets at
least one hex to start with his first level of
Hexslinging.
After that a huckster gets a whole nother spell for
just a point by buying up his hexsling to start
(which everyone will buy up to level 5), while a MS
has to buy additional gadgets at the start just like
everyone else, plus the hucksters used to get a +2 to
all gambling rolls as a bonus for buying the huckster
AB.

How bout this to give the MS a bit of a edge.
He spends 3 points on the Mad science AB.
He spends 1 points on the Mad science skill.
He spends 1-5 points on a science skill, and recieves
the belongin' advantage in gismos themed in that area
of science equal to the points he spend on that
science skill.
He spends 1-5 points on another science skill and
recieves the above again.
He spends 1-5 points on another science skill and
recieves the above again and so on.

You end up with a character with a lot of knowledge
in various sciences, and even if he ends up
munchkined out in gizmos, he will have put his best
stats in abilites to get the points to buy them so he
will be munchkined only in gadgets, not stats and
skills.