RE: [DL] Custer and Serendipity

Uh, no.
"They Died With Their Boots On" is not meant as a historical documentation.  Its just a rousing Errol Flynn adventure movie.
Custer rose through the ranks very rapidly for two basic reasons:
1) Custer had the good fortune to be close friends with persons who were in positions of power and needed able assistants.  Custer was very able and had a tendency to get promoted to a new position just prior to his former benefactor falling from grace.  In short, Custer was a rising star because he was in the circle of other rising stars of the Union Army.
2) Custer was many things, but most of all, durring the Civil War he was a bold and successful cavalry commander when the Union had few of those.

Custer was breveted to Brigader right before Gettysburg, that is true.  But was George Armstrong Custer that they wanted at the head of the Michigan Brigade, not someone else.

Kevin Jameson